Monday, March 28, 2011

Brain Mush

There is a saying in the accounting world:  Everyone has to go thru public accounting.  If you want your CPA, you will visit at least one firm in your career.  Even if you arent interested in your CPA, it is very likely that you will cut your teeth in a public accounting firm.  It's something we all get to do.  If you've read any of my other posts you will already know that I have come to the conclusion that I do not fit into this world.  I am not compatible on a personality level.  I can match them for intensity and loyalty but since I refuse to make them my entire focus and blow off life outside of the office, well, you can see how that's going to work out.  Still, it's the end of March and I have a whole other month ahead of me of tax season.  The kids that think they have it hard, well, they started tax season 2 weeks after we did and they'll stop 2 weeks before we do.  Those staff accountants have got nothing on those of us who do the bookkeeping and take care of the payroll.  We are hard core.

We are hard core and I am exhausted.  The staff are encouraged and given the opportunity to take weeks if not full months off to recoup from tax season.  That is a luxury I am not afforded.  I get lectured during my annual eval about how I don't take enough time off.  However, when I do take time off then I get lectures on how this is so inconvenient for the partners.  Plus, even if I wanted to take more than a week off at any one time, I have to time it around other people's payroll.  I love what I do but it would be nice if there was a little more respect for the crud we put up with.  We end up being babysitters almost as much as we are professional staff.  It's kind of crazy. 

This tax season started before I truly recouped from last year's tax season and the chaos that was 2010.  2010 was chaotic for many reasons, both personally and professionally.  I am trying some new coping strategies but of course, in the heat of battle you tend to run back to your old faves to get you thru.  They aren't working this year and the new skills aren't habits yet.  In addition to the firm I work for, I, personally, am going thru transitions. 

I find this tax season that I really am more prone to forgetfulness and a general *insert raspberry* attitude.  I have dreams of severance packages because of the merger.  I have dreams of driving away and never coming back.  Well, for the night maybe because then I'd miss my husband and furball so much that I would be forced to come back to talk them into running away with me.  I also have dreams of writing and dreams of baking.  When I have my rare moments of joy thinking about those things my exhaustion comes in to dump cold water on my head.

It's hard to explain to someone who only knows the field from the outside.  How do you explain that at this time of year my brain is full.  Too many "to do" lists are roaming around my head and I can never keep track of them all.  Too many people expecting that I have nothing better to do with my time but sit by the phone and wait for their next task.  Too many ideas running thru my head, most of them fueled by fear and anxiety, that it's hard to remember if I brushed my teeth in the morning (if they feel fuzzy then I assume I haven't brushed them yet) or applied deodorant (a quick sniff test to make sure I smell my deodorant) or put my underwear on (I'll check that next time I go to the bathroom).  When was my surgery?  Thank the good Lord that their offices will call to remind you of those appts.  Do I have enough medicine to get me thru the week?  Praise the Lord that the pharmacy is on auto-fill otherwise my thyroid and colon would either shut down or explode, in that order.  Did I just wash my hair or do I need to do that?  Did I brush the cat?  Did I kiss my husband goodbye?  Did I bring my lunch?  Do I need gas?  Did I apply mascara?  Did my car need a repair?  Or was it my husband's truck?  When was the last time I got my oil changed?  How old are my tires? Can I find my parking pass? What floor do I park on? Do I have my building badge? Fill in the next several hours of similar type thinking about work related stuff . . . and then What's for dinner? Do I want a glass of milk to settle my tummy? Do I really want that ice cream sandwich? Do I have the energy to fix the cat her wet food? Will she care if I fix her the wet food?  does my husband think I'm a failure as a wife for not having the energy to remember if I gave him a kiss when I got home? Once again, God is good because my husband doesn't think that or worry about it, he gives me a kiss when I get home so I don't have to ponder it too long.  How did it get this late?  What time do I need to get up?  and on and on and on and it's a blessing that I learned YEARS ago to go to sleep despite my racing brain.  

How do you explain to that outsiders?  Hmmm, I wonder if I just did
*yawn*

No comments:

Post a Comment