Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Thoughts of a rolling kiosk

Our lives will be worked around my husband's job.  I am not a "career" girl in the fashion of the NOW.  I do not find my worth from my paycheck and the rarely achieved nod from some suit.  I have dreams of staying at home and cooking dinners that take 2hrs to put together.  Of raising children and baking cookies for the class and making sure that homework is finished after the last bell.  I work because life requires payment.  We don't live an insane lifestyle but sometimes things catch up with us.  The last item was a brand new roof that came with minimal warning.  We are still digging out.  Once that is paid off I could take a pay cut.  See, I can't be bought like that.  I have dreams of quitting corporate america and starting my own little business until the children come and if they don't, making the business my thing to do while I follow my husband.

I'm sure those thoughts seem foreign or backwards to some women.  I hear about it from my aquaintances.  I remind them that the feminist movemet was meant to bring about freedom for women to do what made them happy and feel fulfilled.  Well, that was the original idea.  Now it's about some kind of power trip.  "Let's show them we can be as nasty as the boys".  How uninspiring.  How boorish.  Eh, if that's what makes them happy and fulfilled?  I hope they enjoy it!

So, when my husband calls to tell me about a new job opening that would take us away from this area, we are gleeful.  Not just because it means a better opportunity for him but also because it means I can get away from where I'm stuck.  Our chats never veer towards talks about my next corporate job.  We talk about me taking cake decorating classes and starting my own bookkeeping business.  We giggle about how our next home needs a bigger kitchen so I can create more masterpieces for my husband to enjoy.  Yes, I said we giggle.  Today there was talk about a place we have only pondered for a brief moment because it's too ludicruis to truly consider.  He's happy in his job and he enjoys his work.  There is never talk about settling in and being nervous.  He's a cop and that's what he's meant to be.  He's an investigator and that's what his heart is set on and so he makes movements in that direction with his career.  So we talk about what I'll do.  We giggle about the silly ideas of how I can mold what makes me happy to the circumstances we may find ourselves.  My husband is so supportive and I'm so very grateful to be blessed with him!

Today we thought up a plan to have a rolling kiosk on the boardwalk that had a heating tray so that I could keep cupcakes warm and spread the smell of baked yumminess floating around me to attract customers.  Who could resist a rolling cupcake with a choice of frostings?  If you were on vacation and weren't watching every penny?  You'd gobble them up!  I have a mental image of one of those rolling carts you see at amusement parks with a cupcake top umbrella.  Walking under the warmth of the sun, smelling the breezes of the Gulf and Atlantic coming together.  Selling yumminess to smiling people who's tummies have been drawing them to me from the first smell.  I also thought about all the snowbirds in the FL area who have businesses back home.  They could use a bookkeeper, right?  Someone to help them keep track of their books while they are on vacation for 4 months, due to Dr's order for their health.  Wifi is such a versitile tool!!  I could be baking cupcakes in the morning and doing bookkeeping while I wait and then stroll the boardwalk with my frosting umbrella and talk the day away with the tourists. 

It's good to have dreams =)

No comments:

Post a Comment